International Student’s Guide to Canadian Permanent Residency

by | Feb 28, 2024

Canada is a popular destination for international students wanting a quality education. Many wish to stay in Canada as permanent residents. This status provides access to free healthcare, diverse career opportunities, and a pathway to eventual citizenship.


To qualify, you must meet the rules set forth by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).


Let’s learn how an international student can become a permanent resident of Canada!


Importance of a Valid Study Permit in the Transition


Applying for a study permit from outside Canada before arriving is essential. First, you’ll need a letter of acceptance from a government-approved Designated Learning Institution (DLI).


To obtain a study permit, you must demonstrate your ability to cover your education and living expenses, undergo medical exams, and purchase health insurance.


International students who wish to stay in Canada must keep their study permit valid by going to school full-time, progressing in their studies, and obeying work restrictions.

What You Should Do After Graduation?


If you’re serious about finding work in Canada, networking with people in your industry is essential. The more local contacts you have, the better your chances of finding a job.


After studying in Canada, international students hoping to stay should apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). This permit allows you to work for any employer. The duration of the PGWP is based on the length of your studies (up to three years).


Relevant job experience based on your area of study will boost your chances of permanently immigrating to Canada.


The Different Immigration Programs


Express Entry System

The Express Entry system prioritizes your eligibility for permanent residence based on your age, education, work experience, English proficiency (or French), and other criteria.

To join, applicants must create an online profile. You are then ranked by your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score. People with the highest scores get invited to apply for permanent residency.


Strong English language skills are important and will improve your chances. Successful applicants often receive an invitation within six months.


Provincial Nominee Program

If you are an international student and do not know where to settle in Canada, the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) can help. This program identifies provinces with job opportunities that match your training. You could be nominated for permanent residency as a student who meets all the requirements and relocates to that province or territory.


Canadian Experience Class Program

This program is ideal for international graduates who are already part of the Canadian community. 


The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) allows international students and temporary residents to extend their stay in Canada. 


To be eligible, you must have worked in Canada for at least one year and apply within three years of gaining work experience. You’ll also need to pass an English or French language test such as IELTS.


Federal Skilled Worker Program

Your international credentials are in high demand if you are a physician, software developer, or management-level executive.


You don’t have to have Canadian work experience to apply for permanent residency. International students with specific industry experience can apply to the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSW) to complete a skills assessment. 


Quebec Immigration Programs

Quebec is a beautiful province known for its large French-speaking population. The province also has its own immigration programs for students.


Quebec Experience Program (PEQ)

International students can apply for (PEQ) to become a permanent resident in Canada. To qualify, they should be close to finishing their studies at a Quebec institution or have already finished. They must also demonstrate that they can speak French.


Quebec Skilled Worker Program(QSW)

Are you an international student in Canada looking to become a permanent resident? Consider the Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSW). It’s for those who have finished or are finishing their studies in Quebec.


You don’t need French fluency, but you must meet the minimum scores on a points grid. QSW looks at age, experience, Quebec connections, job offers, and information about your spouse (if applicable).


Speak to an Immigration Consultant


International students can become permanent residents in Canada with the help of immigration consultants. These consultants will answer your questions and communicate with the Canadian Government on your behalf.


Immigration experts reduce the risk of miscommunication and errors.


Do You Have Questions?

Becoming a permanent resident in Canada as an international student requires planning. If you need help, contact Volte Intercontinental Visa and Immigration to ensure the process is handled correctly.